Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Second Quarter Outside Reading Book Review

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

The Hobbit is a story of a hobbit named Bilbo Baggins and his adventures to Lonely Mountain. He travels with a his friend Gandalf, a fine wizard and a group of dwarves in search of the dwarves rightful treasure. Along the way they meet and overcome foe and gandalf meets a special someone who will not only change his life but change the world.

"The enchanting prelude. "

This is a story of incredible challenges and amazing settings. You see the characters overcome these challenges stronger and readier then ever. There is a lot of progression on charcters by the way they act and just how the author writes. J. R. R. Tolkien is one of the best description writers. You feel the intensity and anxiety of the charcter. You imagine the settings and charcters like you've known them and scene them your whole life. You feel every little detail from the cool nightly breeze as you walk through leaves to the heart pounding escape from the most wreched creatures that you cound imagine.

"I beg your pardon, I haven't asked for anything!"
"Yes, you have! Twice now. My pardon. I give it you. In fact I will go so far as to send you on this adventure."
"Sorry! I don't want any adventures, thank you. Not today.

The book does have a slow start, but it is worth while. It gives you backround and description so there are no interuptions later on. Soon enough you will find your self on the edge of your chair, heart beating in the intensity. This isn't the easiest to read but this is a great read and I would reccomend this very highly.

3 comments:

  1. Josh really seems to have a good impression of this book. J.R.R. Tolken really seems to be able to place you in the book. Not just place you there though, but make you feel like you are actually there. The chosen quote really makes the reader interested as to what the story is about as well as providing some humor. This review seems to give a better picture as to what the book is like in terms the genre and the content. I might consider reading this book becuase although i hate slow starts, once the rising action starts, it seems like a ver good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Josh feels that the book starts off slow but gets much better.

    2. The book has challenges and amzing settings. Sounds like my kinda book.

    3. I'm guessing these guys are british or english. Their accent shows their region.

    4. Doesn't compare much to other reviews.

    5. The book is the only book I'd read out of all of the reviews I've read. Hobbits are cool characters.!

    Great job, Josh! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.Josh's impression on the book is that it is worth the while to read and is very descriptive.
    2.Josh noticed that the author writes with a lot of detail and description.
    3.No. I personally don't think that the passage he took out was very interesting at all. To me it was just a random passage.
    4.This is my first resoponse to a book review this term so i can't really compare it to any others right now.
    5.I would not consider reading this book. Josh did nothing to tell me what was god about this book other than that the author is descriptive when they write.

    ReplyDelete